Creative Copy Director / Editor position in a dynamic advertising agency, in-house agency or creative consulting firm allowing for parlay of demonstrated strategic advertising / marketing communications, brand identity and positioning work in all media.
Award-winning, resourceful creative communications professional with experience creating strategically-driven advertising and marketing messaging for high-profile brands in all media channels. Experienced producer of TV & radio commercials, print, online, in-store POS and collateral, direct-to-consumer and business-to-business communications. Specializing in concepts for luxury lifestyle brands including culinary, consumer packaged goods, home décor, fashion, jewelry and accessories.
Experienced in concepting, branding, positioning, and naming products and services. Confident communicator with demonstrated ability to develop and present research-supported rationales for creative direction. Motivated, organized and personable with skills to streamline processes while retaining creative atmosphere. Talent for quickly assessing challenges, managing junior staff and interfacing with senior staff. Diplomatic and tactful with professionals and non-professionals at all levels. Flexible and versatile – able to maintain a sense of humor under pressure. Poised and competent with demonstrated ability to prioritize and successfully manage multiple projects.
• Creative Strategy, Branding & Identity Work
• Consumer & Business-to- Business Messaging
• Create & Maintain Brand & Message Guidelines
• Expertise in Culinary Arts/ Production including Food Preparation/Styling,
Recipes & Photo Direction
• Video & Audio Production & Post Production
• Strong Copywriting & Copyediting Skills including Long & Short Formats
• Catalog Production, Product Copy, Website Copy & Direct Mail
• Advertorial Marketing Communications
• Collaborate with Design Teams & Present Creative Strategy & Rationale
• Direct Product / Merchandise Photo Shoots
• Create & Maintain Consistent Brand Voice throughout all Media Channels
• Scriptwriting, Set Design, Casting & Audition Processes
Italica Communications New York, NY
Marketing communications consultancy with expertise in branding luxury lifestyle products / services including home decor, culinary arts, fashion and accessories.
2008 – 10
Calphalon, Newell Rubbermaid Atlanta, GA
Leader, Marketing Communications, Creative Brand Services
Created strategic advertising and marketing communications for premium cookware, kitchen accessory and appliance manufacturer and retailer.
• Developed copy direction, messaging for consumers and retailer customers; including new product development, name creation, packaging, website, e-letters, recipes / recipe database, and collateral.
Produced In-store DVD with Iron Chef Michael Symon. Produced Kitchen Electrics DVD resulting in a 30 percent sales increase. Won Silver Anvil PR Award with Carmichael-Lynch Spong Agency.
2007 – 08
B.D. Jeffries Atlanta, GA
Copy Director, Catalog & Website
Wrote merchandise descriptions and art directed online and print catalog for prestigious luxury retailer specializing in exotic leathers, furs, jewelry, men’s and women’s apparel, accessories as well as tabletop and European antiques. Managed catalog and online fulfillment.
• Featured luxury brands included; Atticus, Juliska, L’Object, Longchamp, Loro Piana, Monica Rich Kosann, Mrs. John L. Strong, Oscar de la Renta, Spode and William Yeoward Crystal.
Catalog / online sales exceeded previous year’s earnings and beat projections despite economic slowdown.
2004 – 07
Havertys Furniture Company Atlanta, GA
Copy Director, Advertising & Marketing
Created copy direction and consumer messaging for print and on-air advertising for national furniture and home accessories retailer.
• Wrote detailed product descriptions and promotional copy direction for newspaper, POS, direct mail, website and magazines and Q&A for monthly consumer newsletters.
• Conceptualized and produced quarterly television and radio commercial campaigns, including: scriptwriting, set design, casting, production and post-production for
over 50 markets.
Won 4 Telly Awards and 1 RAMA Award. Increased sales attributed to new creative direction.
2000 – 03
Critt Graham & Associates Atlanta, GA
Senior Writer, Corporate Communications
Developed marketing concepts, annual report themes and proposals for Fortune 500 companies as well as writing copywriting / editing annual reports and collateral material.
Won several ARC Awards for Excellence in Annual Reports.
1999 – 00
Turner South Original Programming Atlanta, GA
Researched, wrote and produced home décor and cooking segments for Emmy award-winning “Southern Living Presents,” a weekly original series in conjunction with Southern Living magazine. Turner South Regional Network – Wrote original programming descriptions for regional network launch and cable operator sales brochure.
Contributing producer Emmy® Award-winning holiday-themed show.
1998 – 99
TBS Superstation Advertising & Marketing Atlanta, GA
Special Projects Consultant / Copywriter
Developed and wrote on-air and off-channel consumer and network trade promotions, image campaigns and annual collateral sales materials.
- Sales Upfront & Quarterly Brochures – Concepted, researched and wrote TBS Upfront Sales Magazine, incorporating sales and marketing information into a user-friendly, entertainment-style sales tool. Researched and wrote quarterly program brochure, “Green Room/Screening Room” in conjunction with TNT.
- “Dinner & a Movie” Cookbook – Wrote and copyedited cookbook and collateral CD-ROM Trivia Game for weekly television franchise.
- 1998 Network Trade Campaign – Wrote and art directed feature article for Advertising Age Annual Cable Television Issue.
1994 – 98
TBS Superstation Advertising & Marketing Atlanta, GA
Executive Assistant / Assistant Copywriter
Turner Original Productions & Stephen Spielberg’s “Survivors of the Holocaust” – Assistant copywriter and translator (German/English) of underwriters proposal and collateral education material for the network’s first commercial-free documentary.
1989 – 92
Harper & Row Publishers New York, NY
Advertising & Marketing Coordinator / Copywriter
Wrote and copyedited adult fiction and non-fiction advertisements, promotions and book jacket copy. Created advertising strategy and wrote copy for national advertising campaigns for: Roseanne Barr’s autobiography, “My Life as a Woman,” “Getting the Love You Want,” “Georgia O’Keefe: A Life” biography and “Barbarians at the Gate.”
- 2006 Bronze Retail Advertising & Marketing Association –
Havertys Furniture “HAVE” campaign
- 2006 Three Bronze Telly Awards, Havertys Furniture Commercials: “Dream in Color,”
“In Bloom” and “Match/Mismatch”
- 1998 Silver BDA/Promax Award TBS Superstation
Image Trade Premium Concept & Design: “Decision Dice”
- 1997 Cable Ace Nomination Interstitial Program “Dinner & a Movie”
Researched film and food trivia, concepted program segments and companion cookbook.
2004 – 05
Atlanta Style & Design Magazine Atlanta, GA
Projects: Restaurant Review Features: “On a Mission: A California Native turns up the Heat”: The Woodfire Grill. “French Twist”: Ritz-Carlton Dining Room. “Contemporary American Cuisine in a Riverside Setting”: Canoe. Profile of Franya Waide Antiques.
Strawberryfrog Advertising Agency Amsterdam, Netherlands
Media Advertising & Marketing Consultant
Project: Discovery Channel Europe on-air and print advertising campaign.
Dossier Magazine Atlanta, GA
Contributing Editor & Interim Editor
Projects: Home Interior Design Features: “Candler’s Court” and “Romantic Reunion.”
- 2008 – 09 Comedy Workshop with Jeff Justice, Atlanta, GA
- 2005 The Atlanta Art Institute: History of Architecture & Design
- 1992 Sketch Comedy Writing with Justin Stangel & John Webber
Second City Comedy, New York, NY
- 1991 Writing for Actors Workshop with Leslie Avazian
Ensemble Studio Theatre, New York, NY
- 1988 – 89 New York University: Tisch School of the Arts
New York University Full Academic Scholarship
- 1986 – 88 Syracuse University: Crouse College of Art
Bachelor of Science, Dramatic Arts & Fine Art
Syracuse University Dean’s List 1987 & London Art Program
Professional Memberships / Volunteer Work
- ESL Instructor at Christ the King Cathedral Atlanta, GA
- Performing Arts Alumni Association New York, NY